Friday, March 30, 2007

“Originality, our own vid-cast pilot, Leo Laporte and netcasting”

So I heard on the radio, the real radio not a podcast even though I love the podcast, that certain James Brown beats and sound clips have been referenced, sampled and reused something like in the range of hundreds of thousands of times.

This got me to thinking about original content creation. Often times I come across blogs, news articles and podcasts that are so heavily out-linked and quote referenced that the story is just a bunch of links to other peoples content. They are just empty shells.

I understand that content creation is difficult. Just maintaining a weekly blog like this can be challenging. But it forces me to push and develop.

I remember talking about creating work, art work at the time, with a classmate from NSCAD. He said something about how you have to be constantly making work. I thought at the time that to make work without reason was frivolous but I now understand that the process is part of creating. It not only keeps you in the habit of creating, which is very easy to fall out of, but it also enables you to work things out in reality.

The previous sentence is a perfect example. I left it as it was written because after I had finished it I knew it was not exactly what I was trying to say. But in this specific case it exemplified exactly the point I am trying to get across.

I think.

Back to my starting thoughts.

The importance of creating original work cannot be understated. We have very short attention spans and our built-in boredom sensors go off very quick. If you create new things that people have not seen before it will keep them interested, keep their attention and, for video, keep them watching.

I try to approach each new project like this. Even with dry material there must be a way to maintain your interest. By creating new ideas and storylines it keep it fresh and interesting. It is my challenge to craft a story around your project to hold the viwer’s interest and inform at the same time. But that’s my expertise.

Oh, I mentioned a pilot in the header. Yes a pilot is in the works. But it will be a video netcast show so keep stopping in to see what we have created.

Another net lingo update on this is the term netcast. Netcast is Leo Laporte’s vernacular hat-in-the-ring to name what is commonly called podcasting. Apple is trying to trademark the term podcast and not allow anyone else to use it without permission. I find Netcast still too Internet-referencing. I think some term should move away from referencing the Internet because although this is how you receive the data you can play it on iPods, laptops, desktops, Zunes (well maybe not Zunes being so Microsoftish), PDAs and phones. So maybe just call it “Casting”. Use a prefix like sound, audio or video to describe the type of show it is and go from there. But that’s my hat-in-the-ring for now.

CM
www.cmcreative.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home