Friday, March 30, 2007

“Disney brand, brand, brand… and more brand and Annie Leibovitz, the Art star”

On a recent vacation to Disney World with my family I got the biggest and quickest lesson in corporate branding.

I had been to Disney before (in California and Florida) so I thought I knew what to expect. But going as an adult with “ride fever” is way different than bringing two kids who know their Disney characters.

Everything in Disney is about branding and tie-ins. It is amazing. The coffee is “hosted” by Nestlé and even the bathrooms have hand-washing tips that are brought to you by Brawny.

It was like one big branding machine. Merchandise was everywhere and most of the attractions aided in rejuvenating interest in brand lines (Winnie the Pooh, etc,).

No opportunity to up sell and value add your experience was missed. They have it down to a science. It is staggering to be immersed in the Disney experience but incredible to realize the thought involved in your every move.

Now it is not all sell, sell, sell. There are fun rides there and the kids had great fun seeing storybook characters big and in live action. Well maybe it is all sell, sell, sell, but if you are prepared for that going in then you can enjoy your time.

I must admit though that if I had the opportunity to create a place that was designed to promote my business and let you have some fun too, it would have very similar constructs. CM Creative-land? Well maybe a different name to begin.

On our trip back home we were in the returning security lines and I noticed that Annie Leibovitz was saying good-bye to others in the line beside me. I’m pretty sure that it was her. I had just watched a program on PBS about her life and she was showing some new Disney themed photographs at Disney World so the timing was right.

Now I’ve been around a few big heavies in the celebrity world and you get over it pretty quick but this was different. I think because I had recently watched her retrospective it took me back. Not to be a gawker but I was staring. It was Annie Leibovitz! She’s like totally an Art Star!

It probably shocked me because she is a creative professional who has stuck to what she wanted to do and has been phenomenally successful. That deserves respect.

Did I say anything to her? No. She was there saying goodbye with friends in a chaotic environment with her family. It was not the time or place. Another opportunity may arise one day in a karmic circle of fate and it will be right. That’s what my gut said and in that situation you go with your gut.

CM
www.cmcreative.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home